Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuck with a Cherry Laurel, can I graft edible prunus on it?

Posted by drasaid zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 23:33

Yes, this is probably an insane question. However, I dislike cherry laurel and I'd rather have something else. So, could I graft a plum on it? Or would the nastyness of Cherry Laurel ruin it? Or would the graft be doomed?
I also have a flowering plum I'd like to graft onto. Anyone have anything good to say about either one of these grafting tools?
http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,47236&p=64798
http://www.amazon.com/A-M-Leonard-Grafting-Tool/dp/B001FA6H4M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuck with a Cherry Laurel, can I graft edible prunus on it?

In my experience...as long as you are grafting a Plum on a Plum you should be all set and it should graft for you.

Let us know how it works for you...I can't click on those links you offered for the tools.

o

I'm pretty sure if you're grafting a Prunus on a Prunus, it'll take. I'm not sure what you mean by nastyness of the Cherry Laurel but if you mean its tenacious growth habit, that's nothing unusual and shouldn't make a difference. They usually use very tenacious rootstock for grafting less tenacious plants onto, like Rosa multiflora rootstock for cultivated multiflora roses.

o

You could try this question over on the Fruit and Orchards Forum where there are some very experienced grafters. Are you hoping to graft an edible plum onto the cherry laurel? I have no idea if it would work or not but cherry laurel is poisonous in all parts. Don't know if that would make a difference.

o

If you go to You Tube, there are a lot of videos on grafting also. Do a search for fruit tree grafting. There are tons of videos there. I was quite interested in the T-Bud grafting for grape vines. Amazing video and very useful to me at this moment. I accidentally snapped 2 cordons on 2 vines and my vines are lopsided. That is grafting vitus vinifera onto vitus vinifera. Not sure if you can graft plum onto cherry, but they do make those fruit cocktail trees with a few varieties on one trunk, so it's probably possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here