Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cloning Tomatoes During the Growing Season

Posted by applebuilder North Orange County (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 23:56

Can you propogate tomato plants during the growing season (NOT for indoor winter growing)? What are some of the downsides to cloning (smaller yields, less disease resistant?) and can I use the bottom suckers from my tomato plant? Sorry if I'm reposting an existing thread, but I couldn't find one with the answers I needed. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cloning Tomatoes During the Growing Season

May propagate during growing season.....
disease resistance NOT aaffected by propagation & the yeald will be smaller since the branch(tip) will be out of production for several weeks & MAY be delayed so the fruit ripen late fall..... yes the bottom suckers may be used...

o

having a fall crop wont matter.most tomatoes dont set fruit above 90 degrees,anyway.when i grew acres of them,we would simply cut back the old growth abt july or when it went over 90 for a week,then continued to water and fertilize and had 2 crops from one planting.if you do cuttings,you'll have abt a 6 week delay on fruiting,same as if you cut back the old plant..cut to abt 2-3 ft from the ground.

o

That's a very interesting method, I've never heard of that. So once fruits stop setting due to high temperatures, they won't start setting again (when the temperature goes down) unless you cut them back? Do you think the extra foliage (shade) you get from growing tomatoes on a trellis will allow the fruit to set in high temperatures?

o

Actually I see that there are plenty of threads on this topic so I won't make you post it here. Thanks for the advice though, it showed me an important aspect of the tomato growing season that I did not know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here