Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plin924

Strawberries with plenty of fruit but no runners?

plin924
12 years ago

hi everyone!

I'm a newbie at gardenweb. I'm so glad I found this place. We have taken many advice off this forum and things have worked out great for our vegetable garden so far.

We have several strawberries planted in a raised bed setting. We have some June Bearing and some Ever Bearing in separate beds, each plant has about a foot of space between them. We got them from Armstrong Garden Center in Feb/March. They have started to fruit immediately (here we are in May). We have fertilize them with massive amount of coffee grounds from starbucks and some manure. The plants have thrived, all grown twice or three times their original size. Each plant has given us about half a dozen strawberries thus far in the season.

One thing that's been puzzling me is that I have not seen any runners. I have tried to cut all berries off some plants, but they just continues to flower and produce even more berries. There's no signs of runners what so ever.

They don't look like alpine strawberries at all. I don't think my strawberries are sick. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. What can I do to encourage runners?

Thanks!!

Comments (3)