Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries with plenty of fruit but no runners?

Posted by plin924 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 23:58

hi everyone!

I'm a newbie at gardenweb. I'm so glad I found this place. We have taken many advice off this forum and things have worked out great for our vegetable garden so far.

We have several strawberries planted in a raised bed setting. We have some June Bearing and some Ever Bearing in separate beds, each plant has about a foot of space between them. We got them from Armstrong Garden Center in Feb/March. They have started to fruit immediately (here we are in May). We have fertilize them with massive amount of coffee grounds from starbucks and some manure. The plants have thrived, all grown twice or three times their original size. Each plant has given us about half a dozen strawberries thus far in the season.

One thing that's been puzzling me is that I have not seen any runners. I have tried to cut all berries off some plants, but they just continues to flower and produce even more berries. There's no signs of runners what so ever.

They don't look like alpine strawberries at all. I don't think my strawberries are sick. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. What can I do to encourage runners?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries with plenty of fruit but no runners?

I think it may be related to day length,after June 2l the berries should lessen and the runners (for survival)start showing up.

o

could they be runner-less? I think some variety's are

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 11 at 15:21

OK so I planted some Quinalt/Sequoia bare root starts in Jan-February and they have lots of Runners now and a few fruit. I got 2 6-packs of Chandler in Late March early April and they have set lots of small fruit, but no runners yet and they are looking kinda pale and unhappy... sounds similar...

I have some seed grown 'alpine' type strawberries which never make runners - the fruit is small as are the leaves.

When strawberries are happy (good soil and enough water) the leaves are dark green and quite large (2X - 3X larger than a large berry) If your leaves stay small it may be a culture issue (water or soil infertility).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here