Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkirk3279

Alpine Strawberries

jkirk3279
18 years ago

Hi.

I'm trying over and over again to find a way to clone Alpine Strawberries.

My intent is to clone a whole patch of Yellow Wonders, since the 'from seed' approach ain't working. They come up red berries, no fun there.

I found some promise, pulling down the 'crownlet' stalk, and getting it to come away from the crown with some roots attached.

I snipped off the berries, dipped in rooting hormone, and I put it in my misting chamber and no fresh roots after a week !

It's like these plants HATE me !

Is this simply impossible?

Comments (6)

• bigred
    18 years ago

I'm growing white alpines from seed.At least I hope they're white,small fruit now should know soon. I've found runners on some and if they do indeed turn out to be white fruited,I'll peg the runner to a pot of soil and let it root....but...does your plants have multiple crowns? If so,can't you just divide them?

PP

• jkirk3279
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally broke down and bit the bullet, buying a Yellow Wonder plant.

Only after trying about eight seed packets over several years and getting red, red, red.

When it arrived, I realized it had two individual plants stuck together, so I carefully separated them.

Normally I'd have to wait two years for these plants to get big enough for division.

Now, one is planted in a large pot, and doing really well.

The other is planted in the strawberry bed, looking sort of okay but not thriving yet.

Since these new plants are not mature, I am experimenting with the three year old Red Alpines that I use as edging plants in the strawberry bed.

These plants commonly throw three or more of the "crownlets", sort of a short runner, with a recognizable set of three or so leaves, and then shoots that bear the fruit.

If these ''crownlets'' were long enough, I could do the layering trick. But they're a bit short for that.

So, air layering could still be done. But it's slow, tedious, lots of effort, and didn't work on my first two tries with Lemon Verbena.

So, I did find that pulling down and outward on the ''crownlet'' I could get a complete stalk including a terminal bud, with some live roots attached to the bottom of the stalk.

This really, really should have worked. But not so far.

I have decided to update my small misting chamber with a bigger dome, like the one I used last year.

Unfortunately, the plastic I used for the first model just shattered like glass this spring. UV damage.

Ideally, I'd want a Tupperware cake server, a high dome made of flexible plastic.

Couldn't find Tupperware, but I did find a plastic version at a dollar store.

I've trimmed off some of the plastic ribs underneath, and it fits nicely on top of a five gallon bucket.

This much larger misting chamber will let me put the crownlets in cups of wet sand, and then under the misting dome to protect the foliage.

I'm working on the theory that the roots attached to the crownlets are not compatible with the constant misting and need to grow in sand.

• memmet
    18 years ago

I bought 4 yellow wonder plants at a Master GArdeners meeting. What is the best way, place, etc. to grow them?

• jkirk3279
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In theory, strawberries will take part shade, like deep well drained soil, and a south-facing slope.

For example, I got my mitts on some concrete blocks a few years back.

So, I laid down weedblock, racked up the blocks around the edges, and filled in with black dirt. This is also the time to work in some compost or horse manure if you've got it.

This ended up with a sort of terraced look, turning a short steep slope into a longer, more gradual one.

Since these are alpine varieties, they probably like shade more than modern strawberries do.

Maybe they'd like mulching with pine needles too, but google on that and find out for sure.

There's another slope out in front of our house, but I would have to trench water out to it as it's a dry, dry location.

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

Actually, alpines can take some shade, but also do well in sun, as long as they are watered.
    Jkirk, you're almost there - you can take those crownlets off the plant, leave about an inch of stem below the leaves, and remove any flowers or fruit. Then stick the "cuttings" in your preferred medium so that the enlarged node (from which leaves etc grow) is at or *just* below the surface. They will grow roots, and usually start growing on top as well. This is much less stressful for both parents and cuttings (not to mention the gardener) than trying to pull the fruiting stalks out of the parent plant in hopes of having roots at the bottom.
    I've used this to propagate the red alpine strawberries, and it should work for the yellow/white forms as well.

• jkirk3279
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So far, I've made a list of things that DON'T work.

The mist chamber with plain water -- nope, didn't work for strawberries. Works fine with lots of other plants. Mint, for example.

Plants lived for almost two weeks just fine, but no roots.

The mist chamber with some fertilizer drops in the water, NO.

Using a cup of wet sand with a few drops of root hormone liquid in it ...

NO, that rots the plant stems !

Using Rootone powder, NO, using Rootone powder mixed into petroleum jelly to keep it from washing away, NO.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm