Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Guinea Impatiens cuttings died

Posted by kljkgm Kansas z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 0:48

From what I've read Impatiens are supposed to be easy to root in water. I took two cuttings yesterday morning and tonight they are completely wilted. They went directly into the water after cutting and I used filtered water. I cut them just below a node and removed most of the leaves. They were about 2 1/2-3 inches in length. How could I have screwed this up?

Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Guinea Impatiens cuttings died

I guess I spoke too soon. While I would have bet money that my cuttings were dead they perked up after a couple days.

o

it can be helpful when you go out to the garden, take a slightly longer cutting than you need. then re-cut the stem in a bowl of water so the scisors/knife doesnt force air bubbles up into the xylem tissue. (trick works well for cut flowers as well) also a humidity dome of some sort (a lot of people use upside down ziplock bags) can help prevent to much moisture loss from the leaves and help curb the wited look. sounds like you are on the right track though. happy propagating.

o

In case anyone else stumbles on this thread... I also took a bunch of cuttings of my New Guinea Impatiens before this year's first frost. I put them straight in water and they were fine for a couple of days. But then all but one of the 10 steams totally wilted and most of the leaves basically dried up!

I found this thread and even though it had already been longer than the 4 days for Leslie's resurrection, I decided to give it more time. Well over a week later and the few non-crispy leaves were perking up! They are *all* still alive and looking good. Patience pays. Not if I can get them through the Winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here