Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating a empress splendor

Posted by whodaz 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 3:33

Hello there,
I have ordered 15 trees of the beautiful empress splendor from worldtreetech.com for my house.. I know its a patented tree and should not be Propagated but I am just wondering if its possible.. I also know its a hybrid tree made in a lab in California, and I think is from the (Empress Paulownia Tree) but its not invasive at all and proven im not sure about the mix but the new product is very pretty. so if you know a good method for propagating then let me know.. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating a empress splendor

Grafting will give an genetically identical tree.
Seed & root cuttings are the only other way I know to propagate this plant.

o
RE: Propagating an Empress Splendor

When looking over their website, I get the feeling that World Tree Technologies and their products are likely to be a big fraud / scam. I don't see anything about their trees that would indicate they are anything more than just a cultivar / strain of the plain old Paulownia tomentosa (at best). They say they are not invasive but offer absolutely no proof. Their claim would certainly require such proof. They also don't list a valid cultivar name. I didn't see anything that would indicate that Empress Splendor Trees are patented. Unless you see something or know something that's not on their site, I don't think you have to worry about propagating them, but I'm not sure you'll end up with anything special if you do.

o

thanks guys for the posts.. I have a home with about two acres and its just grass and after I saw this picture of the empress splendor saying its 10yr old I was amassed..

http://www.farmerandrancher.com/02 FEB 2009/Empress-rows.jpg

six year old
http://www.farmerandrancher.com/02 FEB 2009/Picture 021 Small.jpg

o

Paulownia tomentosa is reported to be invasive (environmentally harmful because it aggressively displaces native flora and causing the death of native flora and fauna as well as causing significant economic losses) in CT, DC, GA, KY, LA, MD, NC, NJ, OR, PA, TN, VA, and WV and may also represent significant ecological and economic threats in other areas. From what I've seen, I expect Empress Splendor to be no less problematic. You might want to read the link below before planting another one of these monsters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Least Wanted: Empress / Princess Tree

o

brandon7, i know a lot of (Paulownia tomentosa) and its invasive issues.. but im not asking about that tree nor trying to find out about it.

o

...and I didn't think you were!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here