Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogperson1975

Plant 911

dogperson1975
11 years ago

Wasn't sure where to post this, but around here, our Lowes takes the plants that aren't doing so well (usually overwatered or root bound) and marks them WAAAY down. Many times they are 50 cents to a dollar. Usually these plants (at least the ones I get) have good roots, and they have a few dead leaves. The exception would be the Lowes that got hit by a pop up hail storm, those seemed to be fine, only many of the flower stems were knocked off. I bring them home, plant them, use root stimulator and make sure they are watered.

Anyone have any tips on helping them survive better?

I swear it's like going through the animal shelter, I just can't seem to leave the poor plants there to die. Sigh :)

Thanks

Amy

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

other than not using root stimulator.. why not go for it ...

i dont buy the voodoo science behind a good soil.. requiring a marketed product to stimulate the roots ... whats the point of the soil???

regardless.. whatever makes you happy.. otherwise save the money on the stimulator...

ken

• raelynn09
    11 years ago

Boy, I wish my menard's and home depot would mark things down! I have been able to bargain with the managers at home depot on a few housplants, but menard's won't budge!
    I certainly do agree. wallmart is the worst, though! I always feel compelled to take a whole tray as sad plants home with me. Often I have to pass, the boyfriend is getting annoyed that the apartment is slowly turning into a jungle! hehe. I use rooting hormone once in a while. I don't know if it really helps, or if it's just the psychological thing making me believe it is, but for four dollars a bottle, I think it's worth it.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

This type of post would go over well on the Frugal Gardening site.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm