Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

how to propagate alice du pont mandevilla?

sandy0225
18 years ago

I have a really nice alice du pont mandevilla, and I wouldn't mind having a yard full or them for summer. How do you propagate? layering?

Thanks for the info!

Sandy

Comments (8)

• georgez5il
    18 years ago

Take cuttings of firm new growth. Remove all but 1 leaf. Apply 0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist. takes 20-70 days to root then 8-12 weeks to flower

• Millie_36
    18 years ago

Sandy, I rooted 6 out of 6 last fall by taking cuttings not too far from the tip...look at the buds in the leaf axils to see if they look large and plump. Take cuttings with two sets of leaves...remove the two bottom leaves. I used a knife to take a VERY thin slice of "skin" off each side of the bottom knob where the leaves were attached...not on the bud/node itself. Dipped in rooting hormone and stuck in damp potting mix (soilless kind from my local nursery folks). Covered them with a clean bottomless 2 liter soda bottle, placed under a shop light with an automatic timer that ran the lights from 7:00AM to 10:00PM. I always sterilize pots and soda bottles in a 10% bleach solution. I believe I had to cut the remaining leaves in half so they would fit under the soda bottle. Mandevilla has been an easy to propagate plant for me...especially since I am doing them at the wrong time of year. I take cuttings whenever I have to cut them back for winter.

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the help! I'll try that...

• JBerger431_aol_com
    15 years ago

When you talk about cutting from the tip, do you mean the tip of the vine, or the tip of other stems? I am new at mandevilla propagation and have been wondering what kind of cuttings you should take soft or semi hard, or whatever.
    Thank you for your help. JB

• dc_sailor
    11 years ago

I'm having trouble propagating my mandevilla. I have been following the recommendations about cuttings, rooting hormone, etc, but after a few weeks the cutting all turn dark brown and shrivel up. I'm rooting in a mixture of vermiculite and potting soil. The cutting are in cardboard starter cup which I put in a covered shallow pan that I keep ~ 1/8 of water in. The pan is in indirect sunlight.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey sailor ... [never said that before.. lol] ...

you should have started your own post.. so replies could be mailed to your email ....

is your pan covered.. to increase humidity???

is your timing precise..

are you trying the proper type of cutting.. old wood vs new wood???

and .. are you starting with a sterile procedure .... so as to reduce secondary problems.. as in 10% bleach on pots.. and sterilizing your media ... etc...

ken

• dc_sailor
    11 years ago

Thanks for response Ken

Pan is covered and there's always condensate on inside of cover.

Timing? I'm just taking new growth cuttings as I've done with azaleas etc.

Cuttings are new growth.

Reasonably sterile -- new cardboard pots, new vermiculite & potting soil. I'm not getting any fungus or other growth.

It's a bit of a mystery. I've successfully rooted many azaleas and other plants. The Mandevilla seem so fast growing that it should be an easy path but I've tried twice this year and gotten the same results. Cutting turn brown and shrivel after 2-3 weeks.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

My guess is your mix is too wet. Not enough air in a mix will cause end of cutting to turn black starting at soil level and gradually working up. Al