Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone tried cuttings of Virginia Creeper?

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 8:05

I'm brand new to propagating from anything but seed. I want to fill my yard with Virginia Creeper and I have a friend who has oodles of it growing on her deck. In the past I've tried transplanting with poor results, even with a decent size root ball. I've searched Gardenweb and other sites and found conflicting recommendations about the best timing for taking softwood cuttings. I've had decent results starting from seed, but I can't ever find enough seeds left on the vines to get the numbers of plants I want. Has anyone here taken cuttings from Virginia Creeper, and what was your experience? Thanks in advance. Oh, and can you root cuttings directly in a soil substitute, or should it always be sand?

Martha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone tried cuttings of Virginia Creeper?

tAKE 2 EYE (NODES) CUTTINGS OF FIRM NEW GROWTH APPLY 0.3% iba (rOOTING HORMONE) STICK IN WELL DRAINED SOIL & MIST. TAKING 25-70 DAYS TO ROOT

o

Hi Docmom, I have rooted virginia creeper by taking cuttings in the winter and sticking them in potting soil in water bottles in a south window with 100% success. I have rooted them in summer by sticking them in a bottle of water until roots start to grow. I have also started them by sticking the cuttings in the ground and keeping the ground wet in the summer. They are easiest to propagate by ground layering using the mother plant to do the work. My problem has been getting them to survive long-term. It seems to be slow to adapt and rarely survives the winters here. It may not like alkaline soil. I finally got one to live through the winter this year and it had been potted for quite a while before planted in the ground. If you find out more let me know. Good luck

o

Thank-you for the responses.

Generator, The plants I've had volunteer have always been extremely hardy. They grow in both sunny and shady spots with no attention at all. I think the root system goes quite deep when they develop naturally, so that would enable them to survive the cold winter. I"ll take some cuttings ASAP and see if I can get them to root quickly so they can establish themselves before the cold hits. Do you put rooting hormone in the bottle of water? How much? Thanks again,

Martha

o

Hi docmom, I have never had to use rooting hormone on the virginia creeper. I don't think cold is the real issue because I have relatives in Minnesota z3 that grow them and they do just fine, in fact they leaf out sooner than here. It may be the altitude here. I see it growing around this area but it never seems to be overly vigorous. I just keep trying and maybe one day I'll have a creeper get established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here