Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating a gardenia

Posted by Lorraine_Kimble 8aSC (lorkim@sc.rr.com) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 8:30

My mother's gardenia bush is loaded with blooms this year,can you propagate a gardenia bush & how do you do it?
Thanks..
Lorraine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating a gardenia

Wow, you actually can get to the stage of propagation?? I am still trying to revive my gardenia..I heard its very difficult to get them established, but then again I think it depends on what kind of soil u have..

o

Two very easy ways:
(1) Pick blooms with about 6 inches of stem. Put in water and enjoy the blooms. WHen the bloom dies, pull it off and leave the stems in water. Put in a bright window but no direct sun. Add just enough MiracleGro or other fertilizer until you can barely see color in the water. If water sours, clean vase or jar and replace water and fertilizer. In about 3 weeks you should begin to see roots. WHen roots are well established, pot the plant in sand and place outside in bright shade for two weeks. Water daily. Gradually move into sun to harden-off.
(2) This is easier. Take a low limb on your mother's bush and scrape away the bark on the bottom side about half way between the end of the limb and the trunk. Push it down to the ground, cover the limb with soil and put a brick on it to hold it down. Keep it watered. It will soon root. Cut it loos from the mother plant, dig and replant. I've had limbs take root by themselves.

o

I propagated one using rooting hormone... kept it wet in potting soil & well drained. It is still hanging on, but I am not totally sure it will make it. It has been about 1 1/2 months now, & still green.

o

Thanks for the help / tips. I plan on trying what you suggested. Will let you know the results.
Lorraine

o

gardenias like the same kind of ferterlizer that azaleas like, they are acidic loving plants. that may help, it did wonders for my gardenia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here