Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with a begonia ricinifolia

Posted by slr8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 08 at 8:33

I have this plant growing well out of its pot and I want to make it more full. I am not sure how to do this. What would be the best way to make this plant a better looking plant from all views?

SIDE VIEW

problem with my begonia

FRONT VIEW

houseplant

TOP VIEW

three stems from the pot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with a begonia ricinifolia

I'd take a cutting from it and once I'm sure it's rooted, I'd start completely over with that new plant. However, if you want to keep the original, you could plant the new cuttings on the empty sides of the pots. The problem seems to be that your plant isn't getting light from all sides and is growing towards the light. If you start a new one, try rotating it at least 1-2 times per week so that it grows more uniformly. Another option is to buy some other plants (Maybe one with different leaves) so you don't see the other side. Make sure you start rotating it no matter which path you choose.

o
RE: Help with a begonia ricinifolia

I figured that might be the problem. I had it in a sunroom in another house, and it grew sooooo much better and from all sides. It had at least 50 huge leaves. It was so pretty. I had to move and make it smaller so I made a bunch of smaller ones and gave them away. Two went to my mom and she is having the same problem. I am going to put it on my patio outside for the summer where it gets morning sun until around 2pm and then afternoon shade. I think that help a little. If not, I will start over like you said and then turn it. Thanks for the advice. I think it is funny how it's stems are completely out of the pot like that...I think it is trying to walk to the window!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here