Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron7_gw

misting

aaron7
14 years ago

Hi i'm a thirteen year old that is interested in making an intermittent mist system, what is the easiest way to make a small one?

Comments (7)

• petzold6596
    14 years ago

Google 'home made intermittent mist systems.' You should get loads of info. Good luck.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    14 years ago

Anyone w/Inexpensive Misting System Plans? is a link to a thread on this forum found by Googling for ~ mist misting homemade propa site:gardenweb ~ . There are a few more on this forum.

aaron7, I suggest you do not mention your age on these fora. People here like to tell youngsters to bugger off. I don't know why.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Aw, I disagree with that comment, Albert. Kids are typically encouraged here. The exception would be those children that come in clearly wanting the answers to a test or research paper, without doing any of the work themselves.

Those youngsters are often directed to the library! ;-)

Aaron's question appears to be pretty legitimate, to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for information

• aaron7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks albert and rhizo. I guess it depends on who your telling your age to. I guess the only reason I out my age up was afraid that people would think that I wasn't clueless :) And I sort of wanted to just try it out to mist a small bed not one that mists 3 14 by 3ft beds. Albert, I had looked at a few threads before I posted this one and saw so many different ideas, I wanted to post my age because I did not want people to think I owned a few greenhouses and was a professional.
    thanks, aaron

• logrock
    14 years ago

Aaron, I don't think there are any real inexpensive systems (under $150) that do things like "spray 5 seconds, every 10 minutes, except at night". There are lots of cheap "lawn" timers that do "once a day for 1/2 hour" or something. You may have to invent something non-electronic.

• kayjones
    14 years ago

I would like to suggest that you send your question (or call) manufacturers of these systems - see what they tell you. I am sure they will give you direction. Come back and let us know what you come up with.

• wallknight
    14 years ago

Hi Aaron-
    Here's what you need to do: find a timer; this is the hardest part. I found the cheapest and easiest is the Melnor 3060 [NOT the dual hose version] $40 at Home Depot.

Then find a mist head. Lowest volume is best, since that timer stays on for 2 minutes. I got mine from Morton's Hort. supplies. (also cheapest pots)

While you're at HD, grab fittings for the 1/2" spray head to 3/4" hose outlet. I use schedule 40pvc. Its a puzzle; you'll figure it out!

Now, suspend this over a bed of course sand, and somehow protect it from animals (screen over the top or something).

Done. Mist system for $50. I've made hundreds of plants with this simple setup.

Sponsored