Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzles_gw

Help! Cuttings turning brown!

lizzles
9 years ago

Hi there, I have some cutting (a blueberry, 2 Callicarpa, a bay and a pyracantha) in my propagator to speed up root growth, but the leaves on the cuttings are turning brown and look like they are dying. I desperately want to save them if I can - is this fungal? Should I take them out of the propagator/separate them? It seems to be happening to them all :(

Any help or advice hugely appreciated!

Comments (13)

• lizzles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo:

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Are the leaves getting misted?I do a lot of Blueberries and about 60-70% take,even with mist.Brady

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I'm going to try to help you but you have a lot going on.

First, a light & airy mix is better for propagation. Something along the lines of 90% perlite to 10% peat moss.

Any brown lesions on leaves need be cut away.

You have way too much leaf surface on your cuttings. I've drawn lines where you should cut. All that surface is causing the cutting(s) to direct energy to the leaf instead of making new roots.

And lastly I'm going to have to assume your cuttings are indoors in a home where humidity is very low. You're going to need to lightly mist your cuttings as often as you are able to - allowing the leaf surface at minimum to dry off until the next mist. Since most of us work and aren't home all the time to mist them every hour or two, do the best you can.

Dax

• lizzles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo:

{{!gwi}}

• lizzles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there,

Thanks so much everyone - Dax I've taken that other cutting out, ficus. I've also cut everything in the way you suggested. They are kept in a heated propagator so there is a high humidity level. It's been I did this that the problem has developed. I've cut all the brown bits away, cleaned the propagator out and removed some cuttings I didn't need so it's not as crowded now. Fingers crossed. The Callicarpa are the ones I most want to save as I have no access to new cuttings.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Good... your chances have been greatly increased. Remember to replenish the air periodically so it doesn't become a stagnant environment for disease/mold/rot to occur & allow your mix between waterings (never completely) to somewhat dry/lose moisture until the next watering. You don't want really wet soil either, but just enough water to to keep the media damp/moist only or surely rot will occur.

Best of regards,

Dax

• Jessica Francis
    2 years ago

Hi, 3 days ago one of my cuttings started to leaf out and today when I check on them the leaf is brown. I have leaves coming out on other cuttings as well why do they turn brown after few days.

I don't cover my cuttings. I keep them in a shaded warm area. Should I start covering them with clear bags?

• tete_a_tete
    2 years ago

The leaves of cuttings are best misted as often as possible, but ventilation is also required. A light and airy mix is a lot more suitable than a potting mix.

You can put several or even many cuttings in one pot, but the misting and ventilation is very important. Yes, I know I am repeating myself but humidity is not really what is wanted, it's mist plus ventilation.

If things look brown, discard. Start again.

• tete_a_tete
    2 years ago

You could use bags, it's a good idea, but it means you have to move them to mist. Also, the bags should have some holes or gaps of some kind.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I’m afraid I disagree on the misting. We don’t all gave time to be constantly misting. A bag is sufficient imo. for domestic scale propagation. What is the misting for if not for humidity? You can remove the bag occasionally for ventilation but you don't need to mist as well.

Be aware also that leafing out is not an indication that the cuttings have rooted, especially if it happens quite quickly.

• tete_a_tete
    2 years ago

The misting is for cooling. As we all know, the bottom of the cuttings like to be warm, but the tops of the cuttings like to be cool.

I agree though, it's hard to give cuttings exactly what they would like best of all in our limited setups.

• mariaelenatessari
    last year

El

Sponsored