Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating russian sage 'filigran'......

Posted by flybynyte Z4 NE-SD (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 9:30

anyone had any luck achieving a new plant?

i never have had much luck when it comes to propagating cuttings (not that i have a lot of experience at it anyway).

when i was out in the garden the other day, i noticed a branch of my 'filigran' was laying on the ground (still partially connected). my 'filigran' is nowhere near blooming yet because of our very cool spring. i dislodged it from the plant, trimmed the piece to about 6 inches. then, i dipped it in rooting hormone and put it in a pot. i then watered and misted it, and covered it with a plastic bag (to help with humidity). i am keeping it in the house. right now the plants leaves are rather wilted, and, the tip is almost pointing straight down.

just curious---anyone had success with 'filigran'?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating russian sage 'filigran'......

Take tip cuttings of firm new growth apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist

o
RE: propagating russian sage 'filigran'......

I have no idea what strain we have growing in the high deserts of Utah and Nevada but I have had absolutely no luck, none, nil, using the usually impeccable georgez5il's procedure. Tip cuttings never work for me. I must wait until fall and go down to where the bark is rough, six month old woody cuttings.

Using these old growth cuttings I can just toss them in a trench and cover them and next spring I get growth from rooted cuttings. The old growth will also root in pots with potting soil if carefully stearalized. I don't have any conjecture as to why outside in trenches have less fungus problem than inside in pots unless it is the temperature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here