Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofa

Want to start Sweet Gum Tree.

gardenofa
18 years ago

Anyone have good tips on starting Sweet gum tree? All the nurseries around here carry only the seedless variety. I love the 5 lobed leaves and fall color of the seeded variety. I have friends in other states that have these in their yards and I love them. How does one go about starting these? Anybody have any suggestions? seeds, small sweet gums? HELP!

Comments (7)

• georgez5il
    18 years ago

Propagation from seed or cuttings. Cuttings use firm new growth. apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist Takes 60-100 days to root.
    Seed store at 40F for `12 weeks then sow.....

• kcassidy
    18 years ago

We carry them in our nursery, and they look like they have been grafted. Probably on a 'seeding' rootstock.

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

You want the seedless variety. You gotta have the seedless variety. Otherwise your yard wil be littered with thousands of sweetgum balls. The lawnmower will pick them up and sling them 1/2 block. They hurt when they hit you. They rattle around in the lawnmower housing. You will turn your ankle when you walk on them in the yard. They are a mess and seeds will sprout all over the yard. BUY one of the seedless varieties in the fall. Go to the nursery when the leaves have turned and pick the prettiest one you can find. I remember one in Uncle Emmett's yard that was turned bright orange every autumn. They are stunning if you pick the right one. But be sure to pick a seedless one. Oops, I forgot to say they spread by running roots.

• john_ny
    18 years ago

Second that! You do not want the seeded variety. We have them here, and every year, I have to pick thousands of seedlings out of my garden beds, my lawn, and the plants in pots that I'm trying to sell.

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

Liquidambar styraciflua is native here, and my yard has at least 2 dozen very large trees. I love the seeds - so geometric - but I have only a quarter acre in grass, so I don't worry about mowing and slinging them. I do get a lot of seedlings, easily eliminated with a snip of pruning shears, so email me if you want to send me a priority mail stamp, and I'll send you some babies.

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

Triple that! Gumball-less only. In addition to the hazards already outlined, there's nothing like steppin on one of those spiky seed capsules in your bare feet to spoil a day. Only thing worse as a yard tree would be a chestnut tree, with it's really spiny burs.

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

AMEN! I have TONS of them - and too much acreage and trees to dig them out every year. They come up so thick that they BLOCK my view of some of my azaleas out front, etc. I am CONSTANTLY cutting them back.