Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting for tomato

Posted by habman (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 10:06

If I use a cutting from a tomato plant will the new tomato plant be smaller?

I've heard people do this with hot pepper plants and claim after the 4th or so generation cutting, the new plant stays very small and produce some fruits.
I posted this in the tomato forum but no one seems to know.

I want small tomato plant to grow inside this winter.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting for tomato

The plant may be kept "small" by pinching etc.... start with a patio (determinate type) tomato....
There are also chenicals that will shorten the internode spacing resulting in a "smaller" plant.

o

i have no background to give you the science...

but my gut says that a rooted cutting of a plant... IS EXACTLY THE SAME PLANT.... there can be no genetic degradation in any sense ...

so how can 4 subsequent cuttings off off 3 subsequent generations have lost some genetic vigor????

maybe they should try growing them in a new location ... perhaps the problem is related to growing tomatoes in the same location for multiple generations.. in other words.. lack of crop rotation ... that guess is as possible as the other..

but as i said.. its just gut comments.....

good luck

ken

o

That's what I was thinking also.
A cutting should look exactly like the parent.
I've search the net but could not find any info on cuttings resulting in smaller plants.
I started some cutting with an indeterminate brandywine tomato.
I guess I will see the results by March.

o

no ...

i know it might be hard.. but try to wrap your head around this:

IT IS THE SAME PLANT ....

not as you say 'looks like the same plant' ...

if you root a piece... how can it be any different????

if you grew the seeds from a given plant .... it would be a 'cross' between the mother and father plant... and even if it did look the same .... it probably isn't ...

do you see the difference?

of course this is leaving out happenstance genetic mutation of branches which might inadvertently be selected for rooting ... i don't know if tomato does that though ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here