Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scion Length?

Posted by carcharios Zone 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 10:10

This past weekend, I grafted three scions onto a Granny Smith rootstock that I purchased at a local nursery. The scions I took from my grandparent's apple tree were approximately 12'' in length. Should I have cut them down to smaller lengths and if so, how short should they be? Will too long a scion decrease my chances for their survival?

Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scion Length?

I usually try for about 3 buds on a scion which is a lot shorter than 12 inches. If you stock was growing and you can keep your scions in the shade so they don't dry out before growth starts you should be OK. Al

o

If I've already put the scions on, can I still cut them down to 3-4 inches? Does it matter if the terminal ends of my scions have been cut off? I was initially worried that cutting off the ends of my scions would cause them to dry out faster.

Dean

o

No don't try and do it over. Keep it in the shade. The end of the cut scion I usually coat with what ever I used on the graft, usually Doc Farwells. For now I would not worry about that. It is more important that it does not get bumped or exposed to sunlight till the new growth is well on its way. Al

o

I have not kept the tree in the shade. It has been in indirect light in my florida room, where the humidity tends to be quite high in the spring / summer. I hope the scions have not dried out.

Also, from what I read, you are supposed to graft in the late winter. Since I grafted in late May, are my scions more likely to fail?

Dean

o

If your scions were kept cold(dormant)and damp(not wet)they should have been still alive(hopefully)when they were used and you have a chance at succeeding. If your grafts fail you can bud your stock during the summer if you still have access to your grandparents tree for budwood. Al

o

I did not cut the scions when they were dormant. Rather, I cut them 3 days before I attached them to the rootstock. During the interim before being attached, I kept the cut ends of each scion wrapped in dampened paper towels with a plastic bag around to keep the humidity up.

However, I cut off the exposed ends of each scion before attaching them to the rootstock to expose a fresh portion of the branch to the rootstock wound. I did not use the original portion that had been cut from the tree.

Dean

o

Dean, all you can do now it wait and see if your graft takes. If not then do the summer budding as you have the rootstock, which I presume is growing OK. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here