Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candyspan

Leggy rubber tree... Should I prune? Please help!

candyspan
9 years ago

I just found this site, and am overwhelmed by the breadth and quality of information!

I have a rubber tree that I've had for about 5 years, not sure if that still means that it's young or not, but it's been growing steadily over the past several years but now it looks to be a bit on the "leggy" side and I desperately need some ideas. I want it to grow tall, and have a large trunk. Two years ago I took some cuttings from a piece that was dying and created two smaller ones (which are also leggy). I have attached a picture. All of the individual stems are growing well, producing new leaves, etc, but I'm concerned that the stem won't get any larger or stronger because there are no bottom leaves. I also want it to branch, but in the state that it's is notching the wrong play?

I'm also a bit of a newbie and don't want to kill it, so I need some help with what exactly terms like "cutting back to two leaves" means. Does that mean I cut off the whole top part of the stem with the healthy leaves, and leave just a smaller stem coming up from the soil? Is that the same as "tip" pruning?

That is all, and any and all help is greatly appreciated!

{{gwi:89403}}

{{gwi:89405}}

Thanks,
Dev

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor