Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

rooter pots and air layering...

hairmetal4ever
15 years ago

Has anyone heard of these "rooter pots" that you can buy? Basically an air-layering tool, it's a pot that snaps on the branch you're trying to root:

http://www.rooterpot.com/ingles/index1.htm

Also - what kinds of trees and shrubs are easily air-layered that grow in my area (Zone 7 Baltimore, MD area)? What can be air layered with some difficulty? What is totally impossible to get to root?

Comments (8)

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

That's pretty cool. I used those seed pellets and just put a zip lock back over them but these pots are neat.

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My issue is that the traditional method just doesn't work for me, I think it's due to my lack of coordination to be able to hold the moss with one hand, and use the other hand to wrap and tie the plastic...seems like you need a half dozen hands to do it!

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

Ok. I see. I have read some reviews of those pots. One guy said they slide down the stalk unless you use one that's at an angle. I'd like to try one though, but can't find them around here.

• beaniebeagle
    15 years ago

i like them

currently need to dig them out of the garage, they can give you some nice sized plants. just dont go too big or the shock when you cut them from the mother plant can cause some problems

i am trying to fill in a large area in my yard with azaleas and rhododendrons, they worked nicely on them last year

lee valley tools has them....

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

They work, but require monitoring to keep the water reserve full. Unless they are kept pretty vertical water will not fill the reserve and they will dry out and the rooting will fail. Some plants cannot be rooted any other way and are then worth the trouble, but I would not use this system for other plants. Al

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

I ordered a set of these. I will try them and compare them to my zip lock back method.

• toucanjoe
    15 years ago

I belive Grer Gardens has them in their catalog.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, now as for the "regular" method. why can't you use, the (ok don't mind my baboling, i'm like that but i do get to the point, and such LOL) the moss, then for us people who have a tuff time with the to less of hands LOL use an ace bandage to hold it up, then the zip lock?? although i don't think i'd use a zip lock, i'd use syran wrap. it'd be easier. and a little tape to hold it. in fact forget the ace bandage. LOL but something like that, ummm....i'm also one of those people who do things backwards but i do get the thing done!! and comes out just really great!!! LOL (most of the time!! LOL)) i did as ya'll say propagate a potato vine from cali that way, only this one was beautiful and had been alive for many years!! and i had gotten clippings from my aunt and i thought well, what if i did 1 more, it did great till the dang gnats in the winter!! killed alot of my plants! errrr!! ~Medo