Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
contesthound

Stem Cuttings from Plants with Tap Roots

contesthound
14 years ago

Hi all ...

I wondering if anyone knows whether this is true or not. I have it in my head that if I take a stem cutting for propagation from a plant with a tap root, that stem cutting will grow branch or fibrous roots only. Can anyone shed some light on whether this is in fact true?

Bob

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

The gist of what you are saying is correct. Taproots are grown from seeds, not cuttings. Cuttings will not develop a true taproot. The texture (for lack of a better word) of the roots will depend on the type of plant. In other words, only cuttings from plants that normally grow fibrous roots will have fibrous roots. Cuttings from plants with more fleshy root systems will grow fleshy roots but won't have a taproot.

• capt44
    14 years ago

What Brandon has said is true.
    Trees like Pine planted from seed will have a tap root.
    But the way they are grown in beds or growtubes they air prune the tap root.
    When the tap root grows out the bottom of the bed or growtube the air will burn the root off thus making the plant grow lateral roots.

• counselb
    14 years ago

So, if you used a cutting and after basic rooting you placed it in the ground, would it develope a tap root?

• auntyara
    14 years ago

I'm currently trying rock soap wort.

no roots yet but cuttings aren't wilting after 2 weeks.
    good sign in my book.
    some garden books say it's easy,
    some say can only be propagated from seed.
    hope they root.
    I love those babies.
    sooo much prettier than ground phlox.
    IMHO

I fear even if they root. will they survive the winter?!!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH