Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stem Cuttings from Plants with Tap Roots

Posted by contesthound 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 12:11

Hi all ...

I wondering if anyone knows whether this is true or not. I have it in my head that if I take a stem cutting for propagation from a plant with a tap root, that stem cutting will grow branch or fibrous roots only. Can anyone shed some light on whether this is in fact true?

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stem Cuttings from Plants with Tap Roots

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 16:17

The gist of what you are saying is correct. Taproots are grown from seeds, not cuttings. Cuttings will not develop a true taproot. The texture (for lack of a better word) of the roots will depend on the type of plant. In other words, only cuttings from plants that normally grow fibrous roots will have fibrous roots. Cuttings from plants with more fleshy root systems will grow fleshy roots but won't have a taproot.

o

• Posted by capt44 zone 7 central arkan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 0:39

What Brandon has said is true.
Trees like Pine planted from seed will have a tap root.
But the way they are grown in beds or growtubes they air prune the tap root.
When the tap root grows out the bottom of the bed or growtube the air will burn the root off thus making the plant grow lateral roots.

o

So, if you used a cutting and after basic rooting you placed it in the ground, would it develope a tap root?

o

I'm currently trying rock soap wort.

no roots yet but cuttings aren't wilting after 2 weeks.
good sign in my book.
some garden books say it's easy,
some say can only be propagated from seed.
hope they root.
I love those babies.
sooo much prettier than ground phlox.
IMHO

I fear even if they root. will they survive the winter?!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here