Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pereskia aculeata v: godseffiana cuttings

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 12:12

After reading a post on here about starting cuttings in gel, I decided to try it. I was just getting ready to cut my lemon cactus and decided to use it. These cuttings were started on June 5th. All my cuttings have started rooting. Of the four I started in gel (soil moist, is what I had on hand) 3 did root, but I took one out to inspect the roots and when I pushed it back into the gel, the tiny white roots came off. So I now have that one in soil. Then one was just a branch without any leaves and I ended up taking that one out. The other two are doing good. But will remember the next time I use a jar to put a cover/newspaper around it.
I also have put Velvet Leaf Philodendron (P.scandens f. micans) into gel on June 5, still do not have any roots. I thought Philodendron's rooted easily?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pereskia aculeata v: godseffiana cuttings

No experience with Pereskia but your mention of broken roots is the primary reason why I prefer to propagate cuttings in their intended home, not intermediately in water (except for a few with aerial roots, for a short time to soften them - like the Philo you mention,) or those wildly fun, addictive gel balls or crystals. But when getting to know a plant, it is helpful and fun to witness the time frame and structure. IME with this type of experiment, filling with water can help the roots float/loosen more easily.

Love seeing your pic too! What a fine budding root system. If it was mine, I would be finding a pot for it soon, before the roots are too long to place and cover easily without breaking.

Philos do take root easily, at a node. Do you have a node submerged?

o

I have transferred the two Pereskia's into little pots. I added extra water so removing them from the gel would be easier.

As for the Philo's I have a node on each of them submerged. I am thinking about putting them into soil, at the moment there are not roots. Would soil be better?

o

Would you be able to add a pic of the Philo cuttings? So much easier to be specific that way, if you could. You can add one pic per post to any GW discussion, BTW.

Sending good vibes to the Pereskias!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here