Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to propagate silver maple

Posted by weeper (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 12:26

I've got a silver maple that was girdled by deer this spring. It hasn't actually died, but it grew new branches from below the damage, and is quite an unattractive tree now. So I plan to propagate some new ones off this tree, and then get rid of the damaged parent tree. Here is my question:

What tecnique will I likely have the best luck with? So far I've started 8 cuttings; some are just softwood, some are softwood with a old wood "heel" on them. I'm just sort of trying whatever and seeing what works. I've got them planted in pots 75% perlite/25% peat moss, covered in clear plastic(which I'll remove a couple times a day), on a heat mat and with artifical lights on them because I don't have a good area with bright but indirect sun. I'm misting them a couple times a day and keeping the soil wet for now. They were dipped in rooting hormone before planting, and are about 6 in total length, though most of that is buried. I also tried scraping some of them on one side of the buried stem for more area for roots. As you can tell, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing and I'm just trying a bunch of different stuff! Is it better to not use a heat mat?

Would I have better luck with air layering?

Can I plant any cuttings straight into the ground outside, rather than starting them in pots, or will they die for sure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to propagate silver maple

seed is by far the easest & sure method of propagation...
just stike the sameri with the wing pointing up... should be able to fined seedlings in any flower bed near a mature silver maple

o
RE: Best way to propagate silver maple

Unfortunately, this was only a 3 year old tree, so no seeds for me.

So far, I'm finding that my cuttings keep wilting by the end of the day. What am I doing wrong? Maybe it is too hot in the house to be using a heat mat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here