Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Softwood from last year's hardwood?

Posted by wallknight 5aPA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 12:41

I've got a bunch of willows rooted from hardwood cuttings this past winter. I want more. Some of them already have 18"+ new softwood shoots. Can I take the tips off and propagate, or are the parents too young? Or, would this also be beneficial to the parent in forcing more bushiness?

Thanks,
World's most impatient propagator.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Softwood from last year's hardwood?

For the worlds most impatient gardener, I think willow is the ideal plant. Although I have not tried tip cuttings to propagate willow, my guess is is would work. Al

o
RE: Softwood from last year's hardwood?

Yes it will work as long as you have the right prop. enviroment for that stage of growth. Willows root easily virtually year round, but winter requires the least care and "special" enviroment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here