Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtle Help

Posted by nbarringer TN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 13:03

I recently purchased a Muskogee Crape Myrtle. I did not know that this particular variation of tree grew to be 20-30 ft. tall and 20 ft wide. I planted on the edge of my flower bed about 3ft away from the house. And it is spaced about four ft away from some azalea bushes I planted. I planted it last week. Should I go ahead and move it to the yard? or can I just keep this tree pruned small.

What should I do?

Thanks

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle Help

The plant may be kept in bound by chemical means or by physical means (prunning) this requires constant attention by YOU! (1)So your time becomes a factor in the decision.
(2)Will the Crape myrtle in that location be a asset or a detraction/. (3)Could another plant be as benificial with a smaller maintance requirement (4) Can the plant be moved safely at this time.

o

The appearance of your tree will be ruined by the type of pruning that you will have to do to make it conform to the size constraints. Since you planted it just last week, I'd yank it from that location and give it a site where it does not have to be pruned at all.

o

I appreciate the follow up. I will move it this weekend. How fast will this thing grow?

o

Hello Nick,
I know it's been a while since you posted this note. But, I thought I'd ask how your transplanting worked out for you. I've got to transplant a smaller crape, Dynamite Red, this Fall.

By any chance, do you have any cuttings you could spare this Fall? I'd like to get a couple of that variety going in my back yard. I'll have some Dynamite Red that I could trade with you if you'd be interested.

Whachathink?
Xtal

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 9:53

Xtal,

Keep in mind that `Whit II` (the actual cultivar name of Dynamite) is patented. The plant patent number is PP10296. Propagation is illegal without permission. I wouldn't advise taking or offering cuttings for propagation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here