Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings alive but turning deep red in the sun - problem?

Posted by pogonip CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 13:05

I recently took a cutting from a healthy "medusa's head" succulent plant (Euphorbia flanaganii), rooted it in a propagation chamber and then planted them in a small container with a cactus soil mix. About a month has gone by, and I've noticed that it has become progressively darker, and is now almost entirely a deep red. It is still alive, but it looks as though any new growth it sends out is dying.

I figure this is happening because I have it in a west-facing window, but am a bit confused because I believe it is receiving as much or less light than the mother plant was. I'm also witnessing this in other succulent cuttings I've put in the same location, even ones whose mother plants were getting 6-9 hours of direct sun each day.

My question is, is this a sign that the plant is unhealthy? Should I move them? In the future, should I wait longer before placing cuttings in full sun? (This time I waited about two weeks for them to root in bright indirect light). Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings alive but turning deep red in the sun - problem?

they're probably a bit too tender for full sun. move them to a slightly shadier spot and then very slowly (every couple days/once a week) move them to their full time home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here