Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Casual Observation #29: Russian Sage Cuttings

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 14:26

In the high deserts of the Great Basin there is a popular ornamental called Russian Sage (No one seems to know the genus or species or variety. It looks like the pictures of Russian Sage at images.google.)

Last fall or early winter I trimmed mine and buried the lower ends of a few dozen cuttings in a trench about six to eight inches deep. That's it. Nothing more.

About half of them now have roots and shoots. All those that have roots and shoots are older, longer cuttings with rough bark on the lower half. Younger cuttings with smother bark the entire lenght have no roots or shoots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Casual Observation #29b: Russian Sage Cuttings

Similarly I noted that cuttings with the rough bark in potting soil in pots rooted and those with the smooth bark did not.

o
RE: Casual Observation #29: Russian Sage Cuttings

very interesting, i have read that winter rooting is very easy to do. so i could see how fall would be also. but everyone always says softwood is better. so that is strange. but cool!! LOL

o
RE: Casual Observation #29: Russian Sage Cuttings

Many plants are best rooted from second year growth. Sage happens to be one of them.

o
RE: Casual Observation #29c: Russian Sage Cuttings

One of the first cuttings placed in the trench, perhaps as early as last October, just this week put out a shoot.

For about nine months now that section of the trench has shown no activity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here