Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Blackcurrant in water

Posted by Edlyn12 10 (eddylynch9@gmail.com) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 14:29

I love growing blackcurrants and making jam and cordial from them.Can I root softwood cuttings in water and will they root?Any answer will be greatly appreciated thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Blackcurrant in water

There is no point. Black currants root incredibly easily if you just push lengths of stem into the ground and make sure they don't dry out. (Unlikely where you are!) Use hard wood cuttings. They will also root by layering. They are almost as easy as willow to root.

I 'moved' a row of blackcurrants by three feet simple by pushing a row of sticks into the ground parallel to the old row. A year later I was harvesting from the new bushes and cut down the old ones.

o

But can they be rooted in water,I am just curious

This post was edited by Edlyn12 on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 14:31

o

Probably - I've never tried it because water roots are not the same as soil roots and it just involves an additional process. Even if they root in water they will need to be planted out. Water roots are often brittle and break off and they then need to re-adapt to being the ground. The standard method is rooting in soil or compost. It doesn't seem easier than just shoving some prunings into the ground.

Why don't you just try water rooting? There's nothing to lose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here