Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I root a large branch of curly willow tree?

Posted by michel7 7 AL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 14:40

I purchased a 6' tall curly willow hoping to plant it near an 18 acre pond on some rural acreage. I have not found any help to get it planted. It is still in the same large pot and has put out copious branches. I noticed it has sent quite a large root out of one of the drainage holes into the ground. When I cut this root to move the tree for planting, I know I need to remove some of the top growth. I would love to root these branches to have more trees to plant.

How large a cutting will root from this tree? I know willow is easy to root, but some are 1" to 2-1/2" diameter (maybe more.) I have searched and read for days, incl. at least 50+ pages of posts on the various GW forums, but can not find any info on this particular question. I am hoping the good people here may have experience or run across some info that may help me. Thanks for any suggestions. Michel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I root a large branch of curly willow tree?

It's best to cut large cuttings into 6-12" pieces and stick them in moist sand and peat moss. Keep it damp - not mucky - at all times and it should do fine. This tree grows FAST.

o

If cut into small pcs the tree will not have a straight trunk. I have tried this and it always leaves a 'kink' or stump in the trunk--willow is weak wooded anyway. Also, it does not seem to develop a strong leader, it wants to continually sprout at the cut, even after disbudding all the extra shoots.

If I could root the entire branch, it would be a nice 3-4' tree.

o

When I cut this root to move the tree for planting, I know I need to remove some of the top growth.

===>> that is way old school ... i dont think anyone in the tree forum suggests canopy reduction at planting ....

plant it in dormancy.. when it has no leaves..

and follow EVERYTHING at the link ... as to planting

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
and another thing

and another thing

50 hours??

hit the link.. first link below the pix.. go there.. second reply .. spot on.. .23 seconds .. unless that is your post.. lol ...

ken

its the site that can not be named.. nor linked.. lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I've seen a 1+ inch branch of willow tree fallen on the ground end up rooting on its own so I believe they are very easy to propagate.

o

Thanks Ken and Steve,
My main concern was if there is a limit to the age/size of branch that will root. Thanks for the links. I can be a little braver about trying to root these branches now. Re canopy, the root that is coming out of the drainage hole is at least 1+" in dia. Now I know why it has put on so much growth! I was thinking when I cut it to move the tree, the roots remaining in the ~15" pot would not be able to support the large branches it has grown. But since I will be removing some of the large ones I guess it will be ok..

o

Willow branches the size of fence posts (i.e. truncheons) can, and often are, rooted with ease.

o

Brandon--WOW! Do you mean 4"-6" dia.? Can you direct me to more information on this? Are there any special methods, media, or other things I need to be aware of if I am going to try this? What season is best? Do you prepare it like a small cutting? Wounding, auxin? I would really like to know more. Ken sent me to a good forum that mentioned rooting large willow branches, but I doubted I could get more info from contacting them as the thread was from '02 or '05, I think. Thank you so much for any other help you can offer or direct me to.

o

Michel, you could probably google 'willow truncheon' and find more. Fences made of willow branches commonly sprout and grow. Moist, but well-drained soil should definitely help. No cutting prep is needed (and probably wouldn't help much anyway).

o

I will repeat what ken stated earlier....pruning the top of any plant to compensate for the loss of roots is a practice that is not only unnecessary but counterproductive to the plant.

o

Thanks Brandon, Rhizo
The truncheon search helped. I had never heard that term before, had to go to wiki! Now I see your response to the gardner wanting to do the same with a fig. Don't think that post was there in the days I combed this forum before posting. After reading pages of search material, even some from the 19th century, I think I've got my head around this. I plan to wait to late fall if I decide to do it in place(in AL) but I may try some in pots now if I can find any of my tree pots left or devise something else deep enough. Instructions say bury 1/2 to 3/4 of its length--seems a little excessive to me, but?

Do you guys think I would be ok to start with 2-3 gal? I do not want to do a lot of potting up as these things grow so fast, or larger? I have many to choose from. I would hope to get these planted out by this fall, but that was also the plan with the willow gone wild mother plant, but you probably also know how gardening plans ...gang aft agley.

I root a LOT of stuff and this should be a pc of cake. I do not know why I am obsessing over this so much, but I have tons of maintenance with all these pots and only ounces of energy left. I never throw away a pruning cut, stick it in a special place in the back yard (no treatment,) and everything roots. Then I really can not bear to throw it out.

Thanks all for your time. Michel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here