Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation of Echinacea sport

Posted by gmsing01 KY/Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 14:55

This year, half of my very ordinary purple coneflower has bloomed a brilliant green color and has petals curled in near-tubes (similar to many zinnias and dahlias I've seen), and I am interested in propagating this if possible. I am relatively new at this and mostly unaware of the biology involved. Is it likely that seeds produced by these flowers would grow the same phenotype? Would root cuttings grow this? Or would I be better off trying to root some stem cuttings? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation of Echinacea sport

You might want to read up on a common plant disease called aster yellows. Sometimes the symptoms of the disease produce rather striking blooms. Unfortunately, once infected, there is no cure. Diseased plants should be promptly removed and discarded to reduce further spread.

o
RE: Propagation of Echinacea sport

In my opinion, plants like Green Jewel and so on with green blooms should not have been released. This is going to cause confusion with people not knowing if a plant has Aster Yellows or not. I agree this sounds like a phytoplasma infection. I would really be cautious with this plant especially if you have other Echinaceas growing nearby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here