Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mimosa cuttings?

Posted by flipnut (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 15:44

Any suggestions on how to take Mimosa cuttings to root and keep them from going limp? I took a few yesterday and they went limp before I walked back inside, and have not recovered since.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mimosa cuttings?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 16:08

Mimosa is a common name that refers to multiple species and even different genera of plants. Which one are you working with?

o

I have some mimosa seeds that I would be glad to share with you. It will take longer to get a tree like you may want but this would work a lot better. Are you wanting what it called a silk tree? Drop me an email with your address. Hope you have good luck.

o

i am pulling the things up and killing them (seedlings) - where are you located? Maybe I could send you some seedlings?

Pat

o

• Posted by capt44 zone 7 central arkan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 0:17

You have a couple of more options on rooting mimosa cuttings.
Try airlayering, just wound the limb and put some peat moss or good Potting soil in aluminum foil and put it on the limb.
Keep it moist. It should root in about 6 to 10 weeks.
Another way is to build a humidity chamber.
Go to walmart and buy a cheap clear storage container.
Put the lid on the ground and place a flat with course sand on the lid.
Place your cuttings in the sand.
Place the tub part over the cuttings upside down and it will hold the moisture and will heat up.
Just keep the sand moist about once a day and you'll soon have roots.

o

Do you put any air holes in the humidity chamber?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here