Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with poppies!!!

Posted by seansteezy SoCal z9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 16:28

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this but I don't know where else to. I planted some somniferum poppies early march and they were doing great up until about three days ago they began to shoot their stock with the bud on it but I guess the sun was a little to hot and all of their buds and bud leaves got burnt really bad, the rest of the plant on all of them is still very Healthy. I began puting large patio umbrellas over them from 12 - 3 pm which is the hottest part of the day. If that is not bad enough they are getting full blown attacked by catipillars, aphids, and some mystery bug that is eating large portions of the leaves at a time. I go out there every day and kill off all the cattapilars, and aphids I can find but this mystery pest I just stared seeing the bite marks today. I don't really know what to do about any of it, from my last grow I noticed that pesticides really mutated poppies. So I'm not sure if that's a good idea and as for the burning it seems like every time a new bud begins coming up it gets fried. Even after I began puting up the umbrellas. So any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks p.s is there any way to put pics up ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with poppies!!!

Well, to start off, i wouldn't feel safe posting about growing those here. Anyways, the mystery pest could actually maybe be small birds coming and pecking at them when no one is around? Similar sort of look to it. The problem with umbrellas is that poppies really really benefit from a full day of sun. I'm not sure that they're photoperiodic, but they definitely grow better under those conditions, so protecting against burn is a little troublesome. Try leaving a set covered and a set uncovered at the same time, to see which does better. I'm not sure how much help i can provide, but one thing i can say is that there is an option to upload images. And if you don't want to host on this website, you can upload a larger set of images on imgur.com for free and link it in your post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here