Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting Bay trees

Posted by calvin_2008 Louisiana (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 08 at 17:45

It is a thing on my "to do" list to graft a Persea Borbonia (red bay) or a Persea Paulustris (swamp bay) to a Magnilia virginiana (sweet bay). I have several questions that beg an answer.....When would one attempt to make such a graft? What type of graft would one use? I am a grafter of plums, pecans and citurs but this is the direction I am headed. I want to graft some bay trees.......why.....because there is a decline of the Persea and I want to see if I can strengthen the tree...If anyone has grafted or wants to graft or knows of any information as to this practice please let me know. Thanks for your consideration...................

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting Bay trees

Common sence says use methods of grafting you know..... as you have guesed we have no experience with your "problem" so please go ahead & try several methods then report back with the results. Sorry could not be of help but now you may be able to teach us

o

You might be able to graft a Persea borbonia to a P. palustris and vice versa, but neither would work on Magnolia virginiana because the Perseas are in the Laurel family (Lauraceae) and the Magnolia is in the Magnolia family (Magnoliaceae). While both families are ancient, they are quite distinctive both genetically and vascularly, and will not create viable grafts. This question is four years old, so the asker has probably already discerned this, but I thought I'd try to make it clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurel family article on Wikipedia

o

Also, you may find the accompanying document link interesting. The limits of Persea compatibility seem to have been at least nominally set out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Graft Compatibility in the Genus Persea (1958)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here