Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed starting

Posted by abq_bob USDA 5 / SS 2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 18:43

Ok, so I had the same problem a few years back when I tried to start a lot of seeds. This year I thought I'd give it another go. I planted a bunch of seeds in 6-cell packs back in May.

Most things have sprouted, BUT they're "just sitting there" on their primary leaves, for nearly 4-weeks! And it's been very warm (80's & 90's daytime/50's & 60's night) and they've been getting regular water. They're in a non-temp. controlled greenhouse with it's side panels lifted/removed for air circulation.

The only things (out of 20 or so different plants) that I've been able to transplant, since they've "grown on" are Hibiscus, Datura, "Basket of Gold" Alyssum, and Hyacinth bean. A selection of things "just sitting there" with their "primary leaves" would be Basil, Balloon Flower, Henbane, Ma Huang, Passiflora, Heliotrope, etc. Is it normal for some plants to basically go dormant on their primary (not "true" leaves) for weeks at time after germination? Thanks in advance for any clues!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed starting

• Posted by tomva 7-central virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 19:32

basil balloonflower and heliotrope I did back in the winter using the wintersowing method,I dont know if it would be a temp.thing or not they just might be doing all their growing right now underground in the cell packs(developing strong roots)....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here