Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
four-o-clock

Posted by dinajean 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 19:26

Someone gave me a cutting off of their 4-o-clock plant today, but as I research the internet, I see no articles on propagating from cuttings. Will it work on the four-o-clock?

I also took some lantana cuttings, will that propagate that way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: four-o-clock

4 o'clock easy to propagate from seed never tried cuttings. as for lantana can use asny cutting. apply 0.3% IBA rooting hormone stick in well drained soil & takes 15-40 days to root

o

Thanks! The 2 cuttings I took have a couple of unopened buds on them. Can I get the seed from that? Or do I need to go back to the place and get spent flowerheads? I have never propagated from seed, I am a newbie. Can you tell me what to do? THANKS SO MUCH!!!

o

I don't know if four-o-clock cuttings will root. I've always grown them from seed. You won't be able to get seeds from the buds and you need to trim them off for rooting anyway. Go get the seeds from the spent blooms. They are quite big and will be dark brown or black when ripe. The lantana is easy to root. I don't even bother with rooting hormones. I strip the leaves from the bottom of the stem and any buds from the tip and set the cutting into moist potting mix so that at least one node is under the soil. I put the pot in a baggie, seal it and place it in a shady area. I open the bag every so often to give it some air so it doesn't rot.
Karyn

o

Well, it has been one week and they are holding their own. Even 2 of the buds opened this morning. Is that a good sign?

o

I have always did what Karyn said with my 4'o'clocks. Just take the leaves off the stick and plant it in some dirt. It is one of the ezest to grow. And if for some reason it fails LMK I have plenty of yellow 4 o'clock seeds.

o

Yellow????? Can I send you an envelope? The one I took a cutting from is maroon, or pink....but yellow is one of my favorite colors for a flower.....I have nothing to trade right now but as my knowledge grows, I hope to have something in the spring....

o

For anybody who might be interested, a friend of ours has some of her Four O'Clock seeds for sale on craigslist. This is not a commercial operation, just a little backyard garden. Four O'clocks are wonderful!
http://augusta.craigslist.org/grd/411631514.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Four O'Clocks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here