Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unpatented blueberry or expired patent blueberry

Posted by elnino_ela none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:40

Hello,

I am new to this forum and had a question on what varieties of blueberries that are southern high bush and very low chill that do not have a patent or have an expired patent?This also applies to black berries.I would like plants that can survive and produce berries in los angeles area. I dont want to infringe on anyones patent but wouldlike to practice making blue berry cuttings.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unpatented blueberry or expired patent blueberry

Here's a list of patented blueberry cultivars along with dates:
Patent Genius - Patented Blueberries (see both pages)

Here's the blackberry list:
Patent Genius - Patented Blackberries

o

Another of GardenWeb's screwed up double posts.

When will they ever get this fixed?

This post was edited by brandon7 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 21:54

o

Thanks! brandon7

I was considering propagating misty and sharp blue as i think their patents have expired. Does anyone know if these are still under patent protection? i did not see them in the patent genious but im afraid that they are called something else and may still be under patent protection.

o

You make a good point about the possibility of other names. Trade names combined with sloppy writing on the part of some nurseries sometimes make identifying a plant's real name a little more difficult. Patents are filled by true cultivar names and not by trade names.

'Misty' and 'Sharpblue' are actual cultivar names. Neither of these plants were ever patented (contrary to the false claim by at least one source). 'Misty' and 'Sharpblue' may be propagated without any patent-infringement worries!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here