Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Hyacinth from seeds question

Posted by the_roaming_gnome z6 northern pa (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 19:53

Ok -I have a few Hyacinths.I am not sure what variety/cultivar they are. This year they are loaded with seed pods. I was wondering if anyone has any experience growing hyacinths from seed. Is there anyhing special I have to do to get them to germinate? I have alot of experience propagating with cuttings, but very little experience growing from seed (except for the seeds you buy in packets). Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Hyacinth from seeds question

Do you mean hyacinths from bulbs? or Hyacinth Beans?

Janie

o

We originally planted bulbs. This year we had a large number of seed pods on the plants(are these what you are calling beans?) The seeds themselves are black and white with a peanut shape. we are currently drying them. Before planting the seeds do they need to be forced by freezing or scarified or anything like that? or can we just plant them in some potting soil and expect plants?

o

I have never done this but I imagine that they would need some winter cold. Also be aware that it will be some time (probably a few years) before they flower and that there is no guarantee they will be like the parents. If you allow your hyacinths to set and ripen seed you are weakening the bulbs and they will not perform very well next year. However, it is an interestingexperiment to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here