Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

My 2010 Mini Greenhouse and experiments to come

milieu_serene
13 years ago

Below are images of my 2010 Mini Greenhouse. I put a mixture of sand and moisture control potting soil as the rooting medium. I cut drainage holes in the bottom near each corner.

2010 Mini Greenhouse

From 2010 Mini Greenhouse

Inside of 2010 Mini Greenhouse

Hisbiscus propagation experiment

I took 3 cuttings from an hibiscus yesterday afternoon in the Atlanta area.

From the 3 cuttings, I made 3 "typical" pencil length cuttings leaving 2 leaves. I cut 1/2 of the leaf material away from each leaf as per directions.

From the 3 cuttings, I had 11 leaves that were cut off. I decided to do 11 "leaf" cuttings. I cut away 1/2 of the leaf material from each leaf. Each leaf had a stem approx 1 to 1 1/2" long.

I put some Rootone on each leaf cutting and each pencil cutting and planted in my medium of sand/moisture control potting soil.

While I didn't see "leaf" cuttings any place for hisbicus, I thought why not give it a try --- nothing to lose -:)

I took these pictures tonight after a rain with the flash.

I expect to put some oak leaf hydrangea in there soon too.

I'm looking for some really red crepes but think I will wind up getting those from a friend of mine at home.

I'm planning to do a variety of things in the mini-GH to see how many different things I can root that I like.

I'm also thinking of finding some mandevilla, some more confederate jasmine, some camellias, clematis and I'm not sure what else.

Hoping to have some fun doing that this summer.

Comments (17)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is that container made of? It doesn't look transparent. How will light get in? Maybe it's the flash on your camera.

Suzi

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is just the way the flash makes it look.

The new mini greenhouse:
    June 8, 2010, I picked up a clear Sterilite 64 quart container. The dimensions are 26" x 16" x 12 1/4" with clear, removable lid. I cut drainage holes in each corner on the bottom with my pocket knife.

The rooting medium:
    Approximately 3-4" of sand mixed with approximtely 50% Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil in the bottom of the clear container.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Similar container

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

June 16, 2010

Oakleaf Hydrangea cuttings were prepared and stuck in the mini Greenhouse this afternoon.

RootOne rooting hormone powder added.

The holes for the oakleaf hydrangea.

They are stuck now.

May have left too much leaf material.

Notice all the condensation.

Front view on mini GH.

The other end - the one with the oakleaf hydrangea planted. You can definitely see the leaves.

I added some RED crape myrtle I found after dinner. REALLY not sure how they will do. I was sticking them "blind" as it had already gotten dark. I could only see them in the picture from the flash on the camera.

These are "true" red instead of the deep pink. I've only seen them in a few places so far. Hope they root.

I also got a leaf from a Golden Shrimp tonight. I will try to keep it moist. Do you think it can be rooted from leaflets?

I'll keep posting as I fill up the mini GH and as long as anything is still alive.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Mini Greenhouse Pictures

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

May want to cut some of the leaf of the oakleaf hydrangea. They don't have a root system to support the leaves. I suggest you cut them leaving about 1/3 of the leaf. If they root easily they may be okay - otherwise they may either drop the leaf completely (and may still root) or they may die.

Your setup is very nice and you should have good success with it.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

I agree with nancyanne. You should cut those big leaves in half so the plant can form roots and support the leaf.

I started a bunch of grape vine cuttings in water last year, but I stripped all the leaves off except for the top leaf, and cut that in half. Some still died, but many rooted, and there is so much joy when the new plants actually put out baby leaves!!

I was not prepared for the shock of watching some of my rooted cuttings die when they got planted in the vineyard! 2 made it, and are now up to the catch wire in the trellis, looking all healthy and fabulous!

So, baby the little ones for a while before you put them outside in the sun.

Suzi

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ya'll have convinced me! I will cut the leaves back on the oakleaf by 1/2 to 2/3 this afternoon.

There is also a couple more different hisbiscus shrubs growing beside our driveway - 1 purple, the other white. I think I will take some cuttings from those this afternoon and stick in also.

I have been meaning to stick some of the confederate jasmine off the fence as well. Maybe I can get that done too -:)

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

If it is important to you, you may want to get pot tags or mark the different colored flower cuttings - and you may want to identify all your cuttings. NO - you will NOT remember what every one of them is (trust me on this :-D )

Unless it's obvious what they are I identify all my cuttings with either a tree tag (label tied around one) or a pot tag. I also group the same cuttings together (so I only use one tag per group) You could also draw out a diagram if that works better for you.

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree, I've got to go by and get some tags and markers this afternoon as well.

Last year, in my first rooting try at the sand cutting area at the farm, I had several varieties of roses. I forgot what was what by the time I got ready to pot them and worse still forgot even more by the time I was ready to put them in the ground this year.

• nancyanne_2010
    13 years ago

Also - if you leave your cuttings / plants outside with tags - be aware that blackbirds and squirrels like to disturb the tags and knock them out of the containers. Plant tags also fade / break down in the sun.

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Nancy Anne. You posted while I was preparing today's update.

2010-06-17

New hisbicus (I think) added to the mini Greenhouse today. The cuttings were taken from beside our Atl drive where they get way too much shade.

Please take a look at the pictures and see if you can identify the plants.

We have lavender and white flowers. I took cuttings from both.

I also cut the oakleaf leaves back to 1/3rd or their original size as suggested.

Here are some more pics. Don't have much room left in this one.

2010-06-17 lavender hisbicus cuttings from Atlanta yard beside drive

2010-06-17 lavender hisbicus a little better shot of flower

2010-06-17 white hisbicus cuttings from Atlanta yard beside drive

2010-06-17 hisbicus cuttings from beside drive 12 of white, 10 of lavender. They are located approximately in the middle of the mini GH. The red crapes are to their immediate left.

2010-06-17 oakleaf leaves trimmed by to 1/3rd orignal size

2010-06-17 the red crapes from BNG get their label

2010-06-17 the WM hisbiscus get their label -- note, "WM" is my designation just so I can identify where they came from . If memory serves me correctly, these were pink.

2010-06-17 these were the lavender and white hibiscus flowers from beside Atl drive

Now, I think next week I may put some of the confederate jasmine in and maybe one or two other things and move on to another mini GH as this one should be full. It will be next week because we go to the farm tomorrow for the weekend.

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last Tuesday, the first day the mini GH was used, temperatures were in the mid to upper 90s and stayed that way through Thursday.

Temps in the 90s continue.

There is still condensation on the underside of the lid so it would appear the mini GH micro environment is still fairly humid.

It is hard to see from the pictures but it looks as if the leaves on the crapes are curling a bit. Hope they survive, but early looks seem to indicate not.

2010-06-21 hibiscus leaf cuttings turning yellow after 7 days -- I had no reason to believe the leaf cuttings would take, but figured what the heck, give them a try. If they continue to deteriorate over the next couple of days, I will remove them from the mini GH.

2010-06-21 closer view of the leaf cuttings after 7 days - don't think they will make it; true red crapes stuck 2010-06-17

2010-06-21 the oakleaf 5 days after sticking - notice dark area at edge of bottom oakleaf leaf

2010-06-21 yard hibiscus cuttings stuck 2010-06-17

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the sticking schedule again.

6/15 pink hibiscus and leaf cuttings planted

6/16 oakleaf hydrangea cuttings planted

6/16 red crape myrtle cuttings planted

6/17 lavender & white hibiscus cuttings planted

Here is the update photo from the evening of 6/27

On evening of 6/27 the pink hibiscus leaf cuttings are continuing to deterioate. Notice at bottom right of picture where the leaf cuttings are dark brown and to the bottom left of the picture where the leaf cuttings are now turning yellow.

You can also see in the picture above some of the crape myrtle stems are "white" looking. If you look in the picture below, the don't appear "white". It was already too dark to see except by the flash of the camera. Some times, the flash does better than my unaided eye.

The lavender and white hibiscus are still looking pretty good but something appears to be eating holes in the leaves.

The trimmed oakleaf hydrangea cuttings are still looking good.

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My concerns for that "white" look last night was well-founded. All of the red crape cuttings except a couple were nearly black with that white fungus or mold and had a smell to them.

Everything else still looks pretty good.

• rain2fall
    13 years ago

Do you use any fungicide? I always added a few drops of fungicide to the water and mister when I propagated cuttings. I also tried to keep the leaves from touching each other. Seemed to help.

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No fungicide. What do you recommend?

I have not added any water since initially sticking the first cutting.

Each day I am in Atlanta (typically 4 days per week), I check the GH to make sure there is water condensation on the inside and on the bottom of the lid.

I also looked closely at the sand/soil mix this afternoon and it still appears to have adequate water with no signs of drying out.

All remaining cuttings still look healthy. However, I will see if I can locate some fungicide and mist with it tomorrow.

• buylady
    13 years ago

hi i do cuttings alla time w/root tone..i think your mini has to much condensation try leaving the lid off and in the shade if its outside...

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I opened the lid this afternoon when arriving back in Atlanta, I was surprised to see the pink hibiscus leaves wet, as they have been each time I opened the lid. It is very conceivable that the crapes were lost due to it being too humid inside. Hmmmmmmm ---- has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I did have a significant amount of green mold on my rose leaves last year with the sand pit cuttings. In that instance, the misters were on 24 hours per day and the site received full sun from morning until some time shortly after noon each day.

2010-07-05 -- amazes me, no water since initial sticking on June 14, 2010.

2010-07-05 -- surprised the leaf cutting in lower right is still viable. Notice "sticks" in center of pic. These are the remaining crapes. Looks like some more fungus or mold may be developing and that all have now lost the last of their leaves. Hibiscus still looking strong.