Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofa

How to root cuttings from butterfly Bush?

gardenofa
18 years ago

What is the best way to root cutting from Butterfly Bush? In the past I have just taken a branch and laid it on the ground....pinned it down with a small piece of wire ...covered with soil and let it stay attached to the main plant until it formed roots of its own. I have several butterfly bushes and want to start some more for trades and to give to a friend for her garden. What are the best size cuttings? both length and diameter of the stem? any help will be greatly appreciated. Also I am wondering about mock orange, and purple plum can these be started from cuttings? Thanks

Comments (12)

• georgez5il
    18 years ago

Best time to take cuttings August. Use cuttings of firm new growth (4 inches long). ALSO take the cutting with a "heal" a small part of the nearest branch. Apply 0.8% IBA (Rooting hormone)Stick in well drained soil & mist taking 70-100 days to root. There is a not on this forum about both other plants.

• weedwhacker
    18 years ago

I accidentally broke a large woody branch off my butterfly bush about 6 weeks ago. I plunked it in a glass of water after trimming off the end and it now has 3 inch long roots and is ready to plant.

• greenthumbs10
    18 years ago

Hello, Gosh, if it is THAT easy to root butterfly bush I have to try one! Thanks. Donna

• AgastacheMan
    18 years ago

70-100 days to root. Never had that happen to me. I take a two inch cutting, no heel, with two nodes, with both mature leaves cut in half. I root in a 2 part peat, 1 part medium coarse perlit, and 1 part fine fir bark. Rooting hormone is applied lightly, with the soil being moist before insertion. I fill plug trays, hexagonal 90, with the cuttings for maximum spacing. Misting is carried out every 45-60 minutes, with humidity kept at a constant. Neem oil is sprayed every week, to control botrytis and dampening off with the present humidity. Fetilizing is only applied once a week after root presentation.I can have a finished trade gallon container in less than 3 months, with flower buds emerging into color.

• pmad
    18 years ago

My boyfriend bought a beautiful plant this spring and before he took it home, I plucked off three small twigs, stuck them in a pot of not really good soil, watered and fertilized. Now they are growing and blooming - I just have to decide where to put them in the yard. They were too easy!

• modbass
    18 years ago

does any one in the portland oregon area have any clipping of butterfly bushes they would part with? i have a white and a plum purple. but i have soon many other colors online. if i could find someone out of state that could send me some little ones does any one think they would survive for a week in the us mail? i ask cause i start mine from branches that where less then 3 inches long just water and misting did not even plant until rooted.

thanks

• SmokyMist
    16 years ago

I know this is a 3 year old post that I'm dredging up....but...
    The electric people came by today and cut half of my Pink Delight Butterfly Bush back. Just broke my heart, but I guess they had to do it. So I have this absolutely HUGE pile of cuttings, from 1/2" thick to smaller. Some are 3' long.
    Can I root all these ? I took the pile and cut it down to different lengths.

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

I started some Butterfly Bush cuttings back in Jan and posted a tutorial with photos about the process.
    Keep your cuttings moist by placing the ends of your cuttings in a bucket of water until you get around to cutting them to size and sticking in ProMix.

Here is a link to that thread.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Bush Cuttings with Photos

• blueheron
    16 years ago

I have the opposite problem - my butterfly bushes sprout all over the place and have become nuisances. Also, the local State Dept of the Environment say they shouldn't be planted because they are invasive and not a good host for butterfly larva. There are native shrubs that are more beneficial.

• mooselady
    15 years ago

I want to know if I can cut the root ball in half on my bush when I cut it back in the Spring. My bush seems to be smaller than other years, the flowers were not as big as last year. I have the Black Knight and last year they were huge and this year they were a lot smaller but the bush has a large root base and I would like to cut it in half if I can with out hurting the bush. Any info on this???

• ginadelanay_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

Butterfly bush can also be propagated through division of its roots. This can be done in spring or fall, depending on where you live and personal preference. Carefully dig up mature butterfly bushes and remove excess soil. Then either separate the roots by hand or use a spade shovel to divide the plants. You can transplant these into containers or place them in other suitable areas of the landscape.