Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie17

How to save tulips and daffodil bulbs

Lisa.Marie
10 years ago

Hello...

I just got back from Mackinac Island where a few of the hotels were digging up there tulip bulbs before the blooms faded to replant with flowers for summer. I cut the stems off leaving at least 1-2 (in some cases more) leaves in place. I am hanging them upside down in my garage to dry. Many of the websites say to leave them in the ground until the leaves yellow but in this case that was not possible. Will they still make it and since many of them are still green and not completely wilted would it be helpful to put them in the ground again? I have quite a few. Also most of them are splitting apart into little cloves. Should I break them a part and would each one of those also produce a plant next year or leave them alone. Also is it better to lay them out rather than to hang them upside down? I do not know what kind many are but I do know that one kind is the peony tulip.

Also the Grand Hotel was throwing away their daffodil bulbs . I have quite a few of these as well. These we cut about 2-3 inches of stem and was wondering what to do with them. I was planning to lay them out on the garage floor on newspaper till they dried.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz