Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting oleanders

Posted by otr2damascus 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 0:14

I am rooting oleander cuttings in water. As soon as they show signs of root development I pot them up. I change the water daily, but I am having problems with bacterial rot. Does anyone know of a simple way to control the rot long enough for the cuttings to root?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting oleanders

I have only rooted oleander cuttings in sandy soil.

If you want to start cuttings that have a rot or fungus problem wash them in common bleach. UC Davis general information on stem cuttings says 10 seconds.

Some say dilute the bleach. Some say use hydrogen peroxide. In articles on propagation more attention is made to sterilizing the cutting tools than to sterilizing the cuttings. Some commercial rooting compounds have a fungicide in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis general information on stem cuttings.

o
RE: rooting oleanders

Thank you, that is a useful link. I think I will try a bleach wash next time. I have already identified the size and position of the cutting material that roots quickest so the solution to my problem may be to concentrate on the easy material and to discard the rest. I'm trying to root about 100 cuttings quickly at minimum cost and effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here