Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus rooting question

Posted by StickString Sonoma County, CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 0:52

I just want to apologize is advance. I posted this in the citrus forum before I realized there was a propagation forum. So please forgive me for the "double post".
I attached a few pics of the roots of my two meyer lemon clippings I have taken. They are currently at 2 months. When the roots first made it to the edge of the cup and were visible, they seemed to be growing at a very fast rate. I saw noticeable differences every two days. The last two weeks or so I have seen no change whatsoever. Any thoughts or reasonings for this? I still keep them covered in ziplock bags.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus rooting question

Opposite side of cutting in pic above

o

Second rooted cutting

o

Opposite side of second rooted cutting

o

Should I just keep doing what I am doing and hope for more roots? Or should I change something.
Rooting in clear cups shown above
Brown paper bag wrapped around cups
Room temp is constant 73-80
Plastic bag rubber banned to top of cups. I remove bags for 1-2 hrs every 2-3 days
Thanks again!

o

How about a picture of the whole cutting?

o

This is the cutting with the two thicker roots. It seems the buds are swelling and getting larger. Not sure though.

This post was edited by StickString on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 23:47

o

This is the cutting with the 3 smaller roots. The whole branch / leaf grew 3 weeks after I began the cuttings. There were originally 3 leafs on the new branch although 2 of the smallest leaves just "fell off" at week 4. The largest of the 3 leafs remained on branch and seems to be doing good. But once again.....?

o

Do you guys / gals think I should start removing the bags slowly until they are completely removed since I can see roots? Not sure if they are ready

o

Don't be in a hurry to remove the roots from their container. I would like to see some action from latent buds on the cuttings, as well as signs of root growth. Al

o

Thank you! Regarding leaving the bags over the cuttings. Should I begin to remove those bags? Or should I keep them on?

o

If you are referring to brown paper bags covering the sides of the container, you can leave them on. If you have clear plastic tents over your cuttings, I would take them off for not more than a few minutes, turn them inside out and put back on. You are trying to maintain high humidity around the cutting to keep it from drying out, before rooting takes place. Al

o

Update!
2 weeks ago I decided to repot cuttings Into actual containers in 75% perlite and 25% MG cactus and citrus. I left both cuttings in the shade to establish and I am amazed at how well they are doing. One of the cuttings have sprouted off new growth and seems to be doing very well, the other cuttings hasn't shown any new growth although has a great root system and seems to be healthy.
I just started fertilizing with foilage pro at every watering so I am hoping the other cutting push's some new growth soon!

o

It seems to be doing well, but I question why you used 75% perlite in your mix. I would have moved it right into the citrus mix in a gallon pot. Each repot can be expected to cause a check in the growth. Al

o

I chose this mix because MG cactus and citrus I cannot get to dry out in a reasonable amount of time! On average week and half to 2 weeks before ready to water.

I am making 5-1-1 mix in a couple weeks and planned on switching to that

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here