Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing japanese plums from seeds

Posted by joe_n_sc 7 (thnkfl4plntz@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 1:03

I have some japanese plum seeds that I received in a trade and have them planted in pots on my front porch. Its been over a month now and no germination. Do they require special conditions such as refrigeration or freezing before they will sprout? Thanks for any advice. Joe_n_SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing japanese plums from seeds

The seed need to be stored at 40F for 12 weeks then lightly cover the seed soil temp65-70F & takes 120-365 days to germinate

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 8-9 .... maybe
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 17:53

I stuck some seeds from my tree in a pot about 2 years ago, and the resulting tree is now about 2 feet tall.

It sat out on the covered deck the whole time.

o

I want to start a tree but don't know how to get started. Do I use 1 or 2 seeds per pot? and how do I maintain a 40 degree temp. can I just put them in the refrigerator?

o

Jennifer, yes, stratify the seeds by storing them in a damp (not wet) medium in the frig. I often use a damp paper towel inside a plastic bag, but other mediums (sand, vermiculite, peat, etc) can be used. You could even plant them and use the planting medium (covered by a sheet of plastic wrap or enclosed in a large plastic bag) for stratification if you have plenty of room in your refrigerator.

The number of seeds you should put in a pot will depend on the pot and your own personal experience/preference. You just need to consider how much space the plants will need until you transplant them and how the spacing you choose will affect ease of transplanting them. There really is no single right answer and I still change my philosophy on this from time to time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here