Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trumpet vine cuttings, what part is best?

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 07 at 7:25

I am taking cuttings from a large old orange trumpet vine and haven't had much luck so far. Is it best to take pieces of older stems (vines) or younger green vines. Are the growing tips best, or should I cut from the center of a vine? Should I cut off the flowers but leave a few leafs, or just the cutting without leaves.

jc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trumpet vine cuttings, what part is best?

I think it might be easier to just dig out a sucker. I've sowed some seeds, and hopefully they will grow for me!

o

I sowed some seeds as well, just Monday. I hope mine grow too. I saw a huge one in a neighborhood yesterday, it looked like a tree it was so big, the stems/branches were so big it looked like a tree trunk. I bought my mom one a few years ago and hers did really well, she moves and had to leave it so I don't know how it is doing now.

Jc if you are able to get a sucker or two dug up, I would send postage for a cutting if you are so inclined.

o

I would have to agree, a sucker is best, but if you dont have one available then root cuttings. It don't take much of a root. Hope this helps.

o

i take a branch , lay it down, scrape the bottom side with my fingernail, and cover it with dirt and a rock to keep it down..it roots well that way..after it has good roots, just cut it from the mother plant, donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here