Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings from Eupatorium

Posted by wjgaddis NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 8:49

I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to cuttings. In fact, I tried my first cuttings with eupatorium (joe pye weed) and baptisia australis (false or wild blue indigo). This morning they were all wilted and looking pretty bad so I am not sure what I did wrong? Did I just pick plants that don't propagate from cuttings? I followed all the "instructions" out there including preparing the medium (I used potting soil), root hormone, keeping the soil moist but not overly wet, etc.

Any suggestions? Did I try my first cuttings on the wrong plants? If not, how do I keep them from wilting? Or are they suppose to wilt?

Any help would be tremendously apppreciated . . . thanks everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings from Eupatorium

You did not mention misting or tenting your cuttings to prevent moisture loss and wilting. For your first experiments with cuttings try some of the easier plants. How about coleus or penstemon? Al

o
RE: Cuttings from Eupatorium

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 0:44

I agree with Al....and if you are new to propagating, one well illustrated book you might find helpful is Making More Plants, Ken Druse.

According to Druse, stem cuttings from Eupatorium are most successful when taken in Spring, not Summer.

Then, baptisia - Tony Avent: "Most baptisias root easy in spring when the growth is soft, the success rate drops off to zero as the plants harden. Cuttings should be dipped in a rooting hormone, and then kept in high humidity until they root...usually about 8 weeks."

I sectioned a broken-in-shipping baptisia stem in early June one year, one in three parts rooted - but that was luck, if I'd intentionally planned the cuttings I would prepared them in April or May in my cool zone 8.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here