Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollydog4

Should I thin my gladiolus?

mollydog4
13 years ago

Hi,

I have had gladiolus on the south side of my house for several years. They come up and bloom well every year. This year I have many less blooms. I am in Northwest NJ. It has been very dry here this year.

But I notice alot of small baby gladiolus sprouts around the bottom of the plants. Should I pull these out so that the larger plant will bloom? or do you think they are not blooming as well because it has been dry here?

They were planted all in a row by a landscaper but I am wondering if I can put them in clumps or bunches? I hope someone is an expert out there who can help me. Online it just says to dig them up for the winter but I am not going to do that since they come up fine every year.

Thanks.

Comment (1)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

I would fertilize the plants now.... then in the fall dig them up & store over winter .... in spring work in bone meal into the beds & then plant for summer bloom
    YES you may plant in clumps but space the bulbs for their growth. the smaller bulbs can be place in a area to grow on & llater used to replace the oldest bulbs or move into new areas

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus