Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebeth276

propagating juniper for garden

ebeth276
16 years ago

I am in the Hudson Valley region of NY. Our weather right now is muggy for the most part, and we have at least another 6 weeks of the higher temps (60 degree plus)hopefully, through the night. There is a large field in back of our house, for years (we have a new home, but it is right in the same neighborhood we have been in for 16 years)I have visited a favorite juniper back there for clipping it to decorate for the holidays. This has resulted in a very healthy tree, a juniper with masses of little blue berries. There is development going on in the field, yesterday they took down this tree, :( . I looked up on line really quick how to propagate juniper, took the instructions for Rocky Mt J and went down with my hubby and took 3 cuttings, one the top of the tree, and 2 more where I cut in to the main core (all I can think of is stalk, a sometimers moment) to grab a heal of old growth with the cutting. We soaked these while I prepared the soil, simple canadian garden soil and starter 'jiffy' mix in a huge container. I poured powder rooting hormone in to a bowl, rubbed the cut end through it and put some powder on the next 'new' branchlet up from cutting and covered with the soil mixture. I do not know what kind of Juniper this is and I am hoping I took the right steps and that it roots for me. Any further suggestions?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!