Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating juniper for garden

Posted by ebeth276 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 9:26

I am in the Hudson Valley region of NY. Our weather right now is muggy for the most part, and we have at least another 6 weeks of the higher temps (60 degree plus)hopefully, through the night. There is a large field in back of our house, for years (we have a new home, but it is right in the same neighborhood we have been in for 16 years)I have visited a favorite juniper back there for clipping it to decorate for the holidays. This has resulted in a very healthy tree, a juniper with masses of little blue berries. There is development going on in the field, yesterday they took down this tree, :( . I looked up on line really quick how to propagate juniper, took the instructions for Rocky Mt J and went down with my hubby and took 3 cuttings, one the top of the tree, and 2 more where I cut in to the main core (all I can think of is stalk, a sometimers moment) to grab a heal of old growth with the cutting. We soaked these while I prepared the soil, simple canadian garden soil and starter 'jiffy' mix in a huge container. I poured powder rooting hormone in to a bowl, rubbed the cut end through it and put some powder on the next 'new' branchlet up from cutting and covered with the soil mixture. I do not know what kind of Juniper this is and I am hoping I took the right steps and that it roots for me. Any further suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating juniper for garden

The 'huge' container sounds worrisome to me. Small vegetative cuttings should be inserted into a small propagation unit. Just deep enough to accommodate the cuttings. The medium should be very porous and coarse. I've used pure perlite, coarse sand, and my bonsai mix (which is extremely porous), each with success.

Junipers are notoriously VERY difficult to root. I've had best success with junipers in the winter, from hardwood cuttings.

o
RE: propagating juniper for garden

Thank you for your advice! Everything I read about propagating juniper did suggest that winter was the best time, too bad they took down the tree during the hot months. Maybe I should separate these cuttings in to separate smaller containers? I SO hope there is a little gardening miracle and that they DO root! It was such a beautiful tree.
Have a great day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here