Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting hormone

Posted by AuntBarbie none (43newenglander@gmail.com) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 9:47

Does anyone know if rooting hormone can change color, leaf shape, etc. of cuttings? The new growth on multiple coleus cuttings came in more or less a muddy purple with pinpoints of color here and there. The leaf shape was nearly round and mildly scalloped. Pinched hard after eight or ten leaves and the resultant growth was very pleasing but totally different from both the original and secondary growth. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks for your thoughts...I've found this quite perplexing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting hormone

The rooting hormone will NOT cause any of thechanges you mentioned.
The only thing I can think of that will is a tip application of colchine disolved inwater or alcohol.

o

Juvenile foliage for many plants is quite different from the mature growth. Al

o

The only thing I have noticed is that too much will cause the cutting to form a callus, and not root. Does anyone know if it has a limited shelf life?

o

Thanks for the input. I've used rooting hormone before but never had this happen. I've more or less decided that its just the quirkiness of some coleus.
There's no "use by" date on the jar (bought new this spring) so I would assume its good indefinitely.

o

To keep your rooting hormone fresh, don't dip your cutting directly into the container. Instead, pour some in a small container and use it to dip your cuttings.

You avoid contamination and fungi problems .

o

I have a few hundred pachysandra plants I dug and need to pot up, to be planted elsewhere later. Some have good roots, many do not. I'm wondering if dipping all in rooting hormone (liquid) is safe, or will it injure existing roots? Is it a moot point, as new roots will be created anyway?

o

nice and fresh seeds are available if you want then contact us..

Here is a link that might be useful: pandmlandscaping

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here