Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagation of jasmine plants from cuttings

Posted by indu_modali z7 Maryland (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 10:14

I have been unsuccessfully trying to propagate my jasmine plants. If any one knows how to do it, I would be very happy to use their knowledge. I tried to put in water; put roottone and planted them in loose wet soil etc. So far no success. Pl help. Thank you...Indu Modali

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagation of jasmine plants from cuttings

• Posted by rosco_p z6a ont.canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 20:31

Indu: Basically what you are doing is good...but might I say that my success with Jasmine cuttings has always involved putting a plastic bag over the potted cutting to keep in the moisture, and misting daily. Hope this is the key to your success. Ross.

o

I have had some success rooting jasmine in a pot of compost sealed inside a plastic bag, but they are susceptible to mould so should probably be exposed to air, else given less water to start off with. However this is the only method that has so for worked at all for me.

o

Yes covering the plant with plastic bag with little open worked for me. But I did a mistake of adding fertilizer to such a small plant with 2-3 emerging leaves.

o

Rooting in plain water has worked for me. Take off most of the leaves from the cutting, leaving the top three or four. Put in water. Leave it alone. Just keep refilling the water when the levels get low or if turning cloudy(mine never turned cloudy). I had to wait almost 2-3 months before I saw a root emerge. This was over winter, so maybe cool temps may have taken longer.. But once the root comes out it grows pretty fast. After 2 inches of root is visible, you can pot it. From start to finish - 4 months or faster.

I did not cover it with anything, I had tried the rooting hormone-potting soil method with the cover, it just got moldy inside...with the water method I can see whats going on inside..I am a believer coz it worked for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here