Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenle_gw

Cal. Makoyana

lenle
14 years ago

My first attempt at propagating my calathea makoyana/cathedral windows plant was by taking stem cuttings, falsely thinking the plant branched in the same manner as the red-veined prayer plant I propagated earlier this summer. It's been about two and a half weeks since I took the cuttings (a single leaf at the tip of a single stem) and put them in water and they are holding strong and haven't wilted or otherwise died but I haven't noticed any roots forming as of yet. So I did a little more research and discovered the suggested means of propagation is by root division. I needed to repot the little guy anyways, so I figured what better a time to try my hand at root division.

I wasn't quite expecting to find the tuber-like bulbs that I found once I'd freed the plant from its pot. Despite attempting to loosen the soil enough to safely divide the plant, I wasn't able to. I didn't want to risk breaking the thick roots attached to the tubers or the root system that clumped the whole plant together.

At this point, I'm at a loss with how to successfully propagate this plant. If anyone out there has experience with this plant or with propagating plants of its like and wouldn't mind guiding me through the process, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comment (1)